RECORDS OF HOTEL CANBERRA
||Records of Hotel Canberra
| Date range:
| Reference number:
|| 67cm (4 boxes) + 3 folios
Available for reference
These records were located during the reconstruction of the old Hotel
Canberra prior to its opening as the Hyatt Hotel Canberra. They were presented
to the National Library by Pak-Poy and Kneebone (consulting engineers for the
project) and Darryl Jackson and Associates (architects) in May 1987.
Scope and Content
The collection relates to the management of the Hotel Canberra and
includes hotel registers, printed notices, menus, balance sheets and a variety
of financial records.
The Hotel Canberra was established in 1924, as a Government owned hostel
known as 'Hostel no. 1'. In 1927, the hostel became the Hotel Canberra and was
managed by the Government. In 1950, the Hotel was leased to Hotel Canberra Ltd
(a subsidiary of Tooheys Brewery, Sydney). For many years it was the only hotel
in the A.C.T., and even after the opening of other hotels in Canberra, remained
the home of many politicians. Its close proximity to Parliament House and other
areas of Government, as well as its 24 hour service, made it idea for
politicians. Notable persons who stayed at the Hotel included the Duke and
Duchess of York (later George VI and Queen Elizabeth), John Curtin, and James
Scullin and Marie Scullin (who chose to stay at the Hotel Canberra rather than
occupy the Lodge during his term as Prime Minister). The Hotel stayed in
operation until 1974.
In 1974, the lease held by Tooheys expired and was not renewed. The
building was then used as Government offices for parliamentary staff from 1974
to 1985. However, the building was retained, as it was an important part of
Canberra's and the nation's heritage.
In 1982, it was decided to restore the Hotel Canberra to its former
glory if an interested party or parties could be found. In 1983, a $30 million
deal with the Sheraton Hotel Group and the Commonwealth Superannunation
Investment Trust (C.S.I.T.) was reached to refurbish the older part of the
Hotel and to add a new section behind the old to increase the number of rooms.
In 1984, C.S.I.T. pulled out of the project, later to be followed by the
Sheraton Hotel Group. They were replaced by Pak-Poy and Kneebone (consulting
engineers) who also replaced the original engineers Matrix Management Pty Ltd
who relinquished the development rights. Eventually the Sheraton Hotels Group
was replaced by the current developers, Hyatt International Hotels. The Hotel
was reopened as the Hyatt Hotel Canberra in 1987.
Series 1 Time sheets
This series contains the time and pay sheets used to record the hours
worked by staff and to calculate the wages owed to them.
1-5 Time sheets for the weeks ending 10 September 1939, 4 November 1941,
and July 1941.
Series 2 Standard Brewery
6 Invoices, receipts, credit notes, and statements from Standard Brewery
(Tooheys Ltd), 28 September 1936 and 9 October 1936
7 Invoices and credit notes, September 1939
Series 3 Daily revenue documents
This series contains daily revenue statements, balance sheets, and
8 34 daily total (daily revenue) balance sheets, 15 November 1943 to 2
9 Daily revenue clearance statement, 2 January 1944
10-11 Daily statements of revenue, cash register slips, and
reconciliation slips for the month of August 1944 and for the 1st and 3rd of
Series 4 Machine accounting ledger cards
12 Machine accounting ledger cards for the months August to December
1944. The accounts covered include debtor's accounts, saloon bar sales,
billiards accounts, and cash on hand accounts.
Series 5 House and hardware stock and costing sheets
13 Seven stock and costing records of various household items in use in
the Hotel. The records are contained in a cardboard folder and cover the period
from January to June 1945.
Series 6 Bad debts ledger cards
14 Two 'bad debt' ledger cards, April 1937 to April 1938
Series 7 Hotel registers
There are two hotel registers and one accounts register held in the
collection of the Hotel Canberra. A photocopy of volume 1 covers the dates from
25 November 1934 to 3 December 1935. Volume 2 (folio) covers the dates from
approximately 4 November 1940 to 7 October 1941. Volume three (folio) is the
accounts register used to record the number of meals taken by each guest for
each day and covers the period from approximately 1 January 1946 to 24 January
Series 8 Income summary dockets
This series comprises income summary dockets for 2 January 1943, 3
January 1943, 30 November 1943, the month of December 1943, 1 January 1944 - 3
January 1944, 1 October 1944, and 5 October 1944. The menus for each meal were
typewritten on the front of each sheet.
Series 9 Printed notices
21 A set of printed notices covering different areas of the Hotel.
Tariff notices to guests, public notices and notices to staff are included.
Folio One large notice, consisting of a drink price list for the lounge
and dinning rooms
July 1987. Last updated June 2002.