National Library of Australia
The collection consists of letters with family and friends, and business correspondence; notes for sermons written by Rev. Galliard Smith; several bibles and prayer books and diaries of Rev. Galliard Smith.
Please refer to the collection's catalogue record for the access conditions (http://nla.gov.au/nla.cat-vn1591776).
Copying and publishing of unpublished manuscript material is subject to copyright restrictions. For such material, written permission to publish must be obtained from the copyright holder(s). Copying of unpublished material for research purposes is permissible 50 years after the death of the creator of the material.
Items from this collection should be cited as '[Title or description of manuscript item], Papers of Pierce Galliard Smith, National Library of Australia, MS 2656, [series and/or file number]'.
See also MS 7989 for papers of the De Salis family.
(Taken from a paper by Patience Wardle)
Pierce Galliard Smith came to Canberra as the third Rector of St John the Baptist Church in 1855 at the age of 29. He had been educated at Durham University College, England and was ordained in 1851. He took his M.A. the following year. He married Emily Davies of Llangynidr, Wales in 1851. During this period he was curate at Meldon and from 1852 until he first left for Australia was chaplain at Featherstone Castle, Haltwhistle, Northumberland. Their first two children Emily and Pierce were born during those years. Frederick Barker, Pierce Galliard Smith's cousin, was appointed Bishop of Sydney in August 1854. He offered a post in New South Wales to Pierce Galliard Smith in the church built by Charles Campbell's father at Canbury. After an 86-day voyage upon the 'Mermaid' with Bishop Barker and Mrs Barker the Smiths took up residence in Canberra. Reverend Smith served the parish for 51 years and died at Queanbeyan in 1908, at the age of 82.
In 1857 their third child Mary was born and later a son William Bradshaw. Mary married George Fane De Salis (1852-1932) and lived at Cuppacumbalong. Pierce, the eldest son, owned a station in Queensland called Savannah on the Flinders River and later moved to the Northern Territory and bought a property on the eastern boundary of Elsey Station. He was well known in the Territory as Savannah Smith. William went to Queensland to work for his brother. Later he was killed in the Boer War of South Africa. Mary Smith was well known in the Canberra district for her sympathy and care for the ill for over fifty years. They had six children named Mary, Pierce, Emily, Gertrude, Paulus and Bradshaw William.
Includes letters from William, Pierce and Paulus Smith.
Frederick Campbell, 1881-1905; Charles Campbell, 1881-1888; George Campbell, 1855-1881; Augustus Gibbs, 1879-1905; A. Cunningham, 1859-1905; Grace Family, 1859-1879; De Salis Family; Solicitors, 1890.